Last Updated on 8 months by William
If you have a cowhide rug, you know how difficult it can be to keep it clean. Dust and dirt seem to accumulate on the surface quickly, making it hard to keep the rug looking its best. Vacuuming is one way to clean the rug, but it’s not always enough. Here are some tips on how to clean a cowhide rug, so it looks its best.
A cowhide rug can add a touch of rustic elegance to any room, but they require special care when cleaning. Whether your cowhide rug is in the living room or bedroom, it will need to be vacuumed regularly and spot-cleaned as needed.
To clean a cowhide rug:
- Start by vacuuming it with the brush attachment to remove any dirt or debris.
- If there are any spots that need attention, pretreat them with a stain remover before blotting them.
- Dry the cowhide with a clean cloth.
When you’re finished cleaning, hang the rug up to air dry completely.
With proper care, your cowhide rug will last for years to come. Vacuum it regularly and spot-clean spills as soon as they happen to keep it looking its best.
You may also like: How To Clean A Faux Fur Rug?
A cowhide rug is made from the entire hair and skin of a cow that has been either chrome- or vegetable-tanned. The outcome is a plush, durable rug that keeps the animal’s distinctive patterns, though occasionally hides are re-dyed to produce eye-catching prints.
Cowhide rugs range in size from 20 to 50 square feet, depending on the size of the animal from which they were made. Large carpets on the market are created by combining two or more hides.
Each Cowhide Rug has a unique color scheme and design. Customers choose cowhide rugs primarily for two reasons. They may choose a rug purely for aesthetic reasons or to complement an existing color scheme.
In addition to their visual appeal, cowhide rugs can add coziness to a bedroom and serve as a focal point on a wooden floor. Their curved lines can be used to reduce the sharpness of a room with straight walls. Because of their durability, they can even be erected in high-traffic locations like hallways.
Best Advantages Of a Cowhide Rug
The advantages of cowhide rugs include their visual appeal, durability, and ease of care. Some benefits are:
- Long Lasting
- Easy maintenance
Many people buy a cowhide rug for its visual appeal. Some choose a cowhide rug for its warmth and softness. A cowhide rug also makes a great conversation piece. For some people, a cowhide rug is a perfect gift. If you have a child, you can get one of these rugs made from the animal hide for a present.
This way, you will be able to make your child happy, and they will appreciate your gift. Cowhide rugs are easy to clean. All you need to do is vacuum them. Cowhide rugs are also easy to maintain.
You may also like: How To Clean A Kilim Rug Without Damaging It?
How To Clean Cowhide Rugs: 7 Advice From Professionals
Due to the cowhide’s naturally long-lasting qualities, cowhide rugs typically fit well in all areas, including the areas of your home with the most traffic. They are easy to deep clean and stain-resistant, as was already mentioned. They can survive for many years without needing to be replaced, thanks to the high quality of the leather.
- Shaking the rug
- Clean the rug using a vacuum
- Brush the rug
- To get rid of stains, use shampoo and water
- Getting rid of grease stains on cowhide carpets
- Getting rid of food stains
- Getting rid of liquid stains
If you are still wondering how to clean a cowhide rug. You can see the details on it below.
Shaking The Rug
Carrying the rug outside and shaking it off every now and then can be a terrific idea. Even while a vacuum can remove a lot of the debris, pulling it off outside can help release anything that may have soaked further into the rug.
The simplest way to maintain the cleanliness and durability of your cowhide rug is to shake it off. Remember that you don’t need to beat the rug strongly to remove the dirt. Simply brush it off well until you see the dirt emerging.
Clean The Rug Using a Vacuum
It will help you to remove the dust and dirt that has settled over time. The process should be done every once in a while. Regular vacuuming can be enough to keep the rug clean. You can use the rug-vacuuming method for a lot of things. There are special carpet brushes designed to get rid of any kind of dirt from your carpet.
These brushes are made to be used with your vacuum. If you are not sure what type of brush to use, it is a good idea to ask your local shop or home improvement store. Some vacuum brushes can be very expensive, so it is advisable to buy the best one. It is something that you will never regret. Here are a few rules to follow:
- To vacuum the rug, utilize hose attachments. If the suction seems excessive, you may want to use a dustbuster.
- Vacuuming in the direction of the hair is recommended by experts.
- Verify that the vacuum’s brushes are not rotating.
Brush the Cowhide Rug
Your cowhide rug will look new and remain clean if you brush it frequently. Even after cleaning, some areas of your carpeting may still be dirt and debris.
Your rug can benefit from brushing to get rid of that sticky dust. Brushing is a quicker and more efficient method of clean your cowhide rug than vacuuming. You can use a brush or broom with stiff plastic bristles.
To Get Rid of Stains, Use Shampoo And Water
Your cowhide rug can be cleaned of small stains by using a solution of water and shampoo. This method works well to remove the stain and restore your cowhide.
- The shampoo-water mixture can be applied to the cowhide rug using a moist cloth or sponge. Apply a small amount of shampoo on a stained area at first and then more as necessary. You can also add baking soda as well.
- Rub and scrub can be done in any direction, unlike brushing.
- Make sure the sponge or cloth is not completely saturated.
- Avoid using any alkaline soaps or shampoos.
Getting Rid of Grease Stains on Cowhide Carpets
Are there any oil spots on your carpet? Be not afraid or alarmed. Start by using a brush or something else with strong bristles to scrape away the grease as much as you can gently. Experts in rug cleaning advise applying a small amount of eucalyptus oil directly to the stain.
It works well to remove the stain from cowhide carpets. Apply a tiny bit of oil, then scrub it well with a dry clean cloth. Repeat the procedure until the stain is removed if you are unable to remove it the first time.
Getting Rid Of Food Stains
You can effectively remove food stains from your cowhide rug with a butter knife or a brush. Gently scrape the rug fibers in the same direction until the stains are removed.
If the stain still appears, you can remove the majority of the food stains from the rug by dampening a fabric and dabbing it lightly with non-alkaline detergent or a solution of white vinegar and water. When you notice stains on the surface, massage the area with a dry towel to rub and scrape the stains off.
Getting Rid of Liquid Stains
You cannot afford to squander time while dealing with tea, red wine, or coffee. Start right away by taking the following actions for washing a cowhide rug properly:
- The liquid stain should be wiped away with a paper towel. Simply dab the affected area rather than rubbing it. The discoloration will spread more if you rub it. If you notice dried material, use the knife’s blunt edge to scrape it off in the direction of the rug hair.
- Add a few drops of shampoo or soapy water to warm water and prepare a solution. Apply the mixture to the cowhide rug with a moist sponge. Carefully rub and scrub the stain until it disappears. Make sure the sponge is not entirely saturated.
- Pick up a clean piece of fabric and rinse it with water. Remove any residue from the shampoo solution gently. You cannot use the washing machine to get rid of stains because it damages the rug’s fiber. You may take care of your cowhide rugs by steam cleaning them. If you decide to utilize a steam cleaner, you can do it with complete safety.
We hope you enjoyed our article on “how to clean a cowhide rug?” In conclusion, cleaning a cowhide rug is not difficult, but it does require some special care. If you follow these steps, you will have a beautiful, clean rug that will last for many years. Thank you for reading. We would love to hear from you soon!